Currently, for this season, Solaris does not have any openings. When openings occur we generally hold auditions in June or July. However, since unanticipated openings can occur, experienced singers interested in finding out more information about future auditions should email Solaris’ Artistic Director, Dr. Dawn Willis, at Director@SolarisEnsemble.org. Auditions will be held by appointment. This chamber choir of 24-30 vocalists consists of singers with significant classical choral experience that have a strong desire for choral excellence and a passion for choral music! The audition will last approximately 15 minutes and will include the following:
- A solo of your choice which will be sung unaccompanied. Selections should demonstrate the expressive range and flexibility of the singer’s voice. Any genre of classical repertoire is acceptable: aria, art song, etc. Popular music and broadway selections are not acceptable. (Please bring an additional copy of the music with you to the audition.)
- The first verse of “America The Beautiful” in a key of your choice, unaccompanied
- A short sight singing exercise
- A few major scales that demonstrate vocal range, dynamic nuances, vibrato control, and pitch/intonation accuracy.
- A short tonal memory exercise
The Art Song Central website has 250 titles that are free and printable if you’d like to look for a piece for your audition solo. The Art Song Central website has 250 titles that are free and printable if you’d like to look for a piece for your audition solo. The Choral Public Domain Library website has a number of art songs and arias as well. Here is the link to Handel’s Ombra mai fu (see page 2) as an example.